Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Joy of Sacred Harp

Thanks to my friend Matt who sent this link. It's the nicest two minute introduction to the Sacred Harp that I've seen or could imagine.

I especially like the first speaker's description of how and why there is no religious test to be a Sacred Harp singer. I think Quakers would do well to understand (and imitate) how the Sacred Harp community deals with diversity of religious beliefs in the context of a strong, vibrant, growing, welcoming community of singers.

The only thing I need to add is to the narrator who says that the Sacred Harp refers to a tunebook and the "there aren't any harps involved." At the first singing school I attended, the thing I remember most vividly is Richard DeLong saying that the Sacred Harp is, in fact, the human voice. I believe it still.

Here's a photo of one of our Minnesota conventions:



No comments: