Monday, February 25, 2008

Meme book tag

OK, Rich. I will continue the meme -- the first I've ever been tagged with -- but I just can't find it in myself to continue the tagging. Partly because so many of those bloggers I read regularly enough that I would consider tagging have already been tagged, and partly because I don't know how! Do you actually have to leave a comment on their blogs? I never kept chain letters going, either, but I still don't take responsiblity for when the truck ran over grandma and the puppy. . . . But it still seems a little much to me. Tag yourself.

The instructions are:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123
3. Find the first 5 sentences
4. Post the next 3 sentences
5. Tag 5 people

Actually, there are two books equidistant from where I sit. Here's the sixth, seventh, and eighth sentences from the first:

Three hundred women and some men came. A Declaration of Principles [sic]* was signed at the end of the meeting by sixty-eight women and thirty-two men. It made use of the language and rhythm of the Declaration of Independence: When it course of human events, it becomes necessary for one portion of the family of man to assume among the people of the earth a position different from that they have hitherto occupied . . . .
* The document was actually captioned A Declaration of Sentiments


From, A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, discussing the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848, an event that has an obvious Quaker connection.

Here's the other:
2. Load the paper in the machine. See "Loading Paper" on page 22.
3. Ensure that the proper paper source is selected.
From, Canon Office All-in One Pixma MP830 User's Guide.


1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I don't do memes (save for one that I started that, quite honestly, got WAY out of hand).

So I'll post my response here.

The book closest to me right now is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

Chapter: Jealousy, pg 123, sentences 6-9:

If you do know the author whose turn it is, he or she will inevitably say that it will be your turn next, which is what the bride always says to you at each successive wedding, while you grow older and more decayed. It can wreak just the tiniest bit of havoc with your self-esteem to find that you are hoping for small bad things to happen to this friend--for, say, her head to blow up. Or for him to wake up one morning with a pain in his prostate, because I don't care how rich and successful someone is, if you wake up having to call your doctor and ask for a finger massage, it's going to be a long day.

I've read this chapter, but I don't relate to it as much as I relate to others from the book. I don't get jealous; instead, I compare myself to others and pick at my faults like two-day-old scabs until they bleed again (see chapters Perfectionism and Shitty First Drafts from Bird by Bird).